Wednesday 2 May 2012

Sherbet enjoys working in his garden with his friends

I woke up to a lovely sunny morning with the birds singing sweetly in my ears.
 I was still half asleep though when I suddenly remembered that I had asked Doodle, Pearl and Mango to come to help me with my garden tasks today.  I had asked them to have breakfast with me this morning too and I knew they could be here any minute, so I jumped up quickly and rushed into my kitchen to start putting out things on my kitchen table.  Just as I was reaching into my cupboard for my jar of Pearl's homemade blackberry jam, there was a knock on the door and in came my dear friends. Yummy! I smelled the delightful aroma of freshly baked bread as they walked in.  Pearl was carrying in her basket a delicious wholemeal loaf that she had made to my very favourite recipe. It had sunflower seeds and sesame seeds in it. Oh how absolutely scrumptious,  I just could not wait to eat it.
Doodle had brought some crunchy red and green apples that he had been given by the farmer at the other end of Wiggleway Lane and Mango brought me a little bunch of daisies to brighten up the kitchen table. How kind they all are.  I put a spotted jug of freshly squeezed orange juice on the table and a pot of tea for Pearl, made with mint from my herb garden.  After eating our absolutely delicious breakfast, we were ready to start work in the garden.  Doodle, Mango and Pearl all jumped into my red wheelbarrow, I gave them their tools and I pushed them all to my vegetable garden where we spent a very happy morning weeding, planting new seeds, raking earth, collecting fallen leaves and gathering a whole basket of ripe vegetables.  I do so love the simple pleasure of working in my garden and it makes it all so much more special to share it with my friends. I am very blessed to have such wonderful helpers, and this evening, to say thank you to them, I will cook them a lovely healthy meal full of my home grown rainbow coloured vegetables.

No comments: